It is a well-known account. Sister Marie Bernarde (Bernadette) Soubirous is in the convent of the Sisters of Charity in Nevers, it is 1870, war is raging throughout northern France as the Prussian-led German armies march towards Paris. The first printed version of the account,* published while she was still living, is the following. A visitor came to Bernadette at that time and made her the following questions:
- Did you receive, in the grotto of Lourdes, or after then, any revelations related to the future and fate of France? Did not the Blessed Virgin deliver any warning for France, any threats?The true enemies of the Church, those who can cause Catholics great harm and peril of damnation, are instead those who are within, the “bad Catholics” [emphasis in original] Saint Bernadette feared so much. And they are more dangerous the more powerful they are and the more empowered they feel, their fury, deception and bold vulgarity unleashed.
- The Prussians are at our gates; does that not cause you any fear?
- There is thus nothing to fear?
- I only fear bad Catholics.
- You do not fear anything else?
- No, nothing else...
Friday, March 11, 2016
The true enemies of the Roman Catholic Church are the “bad Catholics”
The most dangerous Roman Catholics are the “bad Catholics” (perhaps someone like “Pope Francis”?):