Monday, October 30, 2006

New From Particular Baptist Press

The “Two-Stream Theory” continues to be debunked…

A New Arrival from Particular Baptist Press

Daniel and Abraham Marshall -Pioneer Baptist Evangelists to the South
by Dr. Thomas Ray

Thomas Ray has done a commendable work in bringing the lives of these two great evangelists back before the Christian public. Together with Shubal Stearns, Daniel Marshall founded the Sandy Creek Baptist Church in North Carolina, which had a direct bearing on the subsequent rapid growth of the Baptists in the Carolinas and Virginia. To Daniel Marshall also belongs the honor of establishing the first continuing Baptist church in Georgia at Kiokee in 1772.

Abraham Marshall, his son, was even more conspicuous as an itinerant pastor-evangelist. “In New England his sermons drew together vast crowds, some comparing him to Whitefield in eloquence.” The truth of this assessment will be borne out to the reader of this book.

This new work also contains the complete “Memoirs of the Late Rev. Abraham Marshall,” which are here reprinted for the first time since their original publication in 1824.

Bound in Grade B cloth vellum with gold stamping. 330 pages, with illustrations and maps. Fully indexed.

$28.50 plus shipping.
Particular Baptist Press
2766 W. FR 178
Springfield, MO 65810
(417) 883-0342

http://www.pbpress.org/

HT: Scripture Searcher

Also, an upcoming issue of The Founders Journal will include articles by Dr. Tom Nettles and yours truly on this subject.

6 comments:

  1. LOL! I live in NC and I was born and reared here and I can tell you, the days of Baptist holding to the doctrines of grace are few and far between. NC is the Arminian Baptist capital of the south as far as I'm concerned. The majority of Baptist who become Reformed in theology end up in Bible believing Presbyterian churches, and even those are pretty rare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon,

    I can attest to that, being a fellow North Carolinian and being raised Baptist. I know of no Reformed Baptists in my neck of the woods (save for Shepherd's Fellowship). Rather interesting how far down the rabbit hole they've gone.

    CMA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shining and burning light, LOL! In NC, there is literally a church (usually Baptist too) on every corner. Two churches out of thousands is not very good! But thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the help SBL,

    I didn't know about those. Mebane is about an hour away and Rocky Mount over two hours. I'm in Guilford County. Hopefully, I'll be able to go to Sheperd's Fellowship soon.

    Indeed, anon, there are a lot of churches. I used to count them while going somewhere, a store or whatever. I would find scores of churches, and I wasn't even searching for them.

    CMA

    ReplyDelete
  5. CMA,

    I am a member of Shepherd's Fellowship. Email me if you see this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm one of the pastors of Shepherd's Fellowship, you can e-mail me as well. God bless!

    ReplyDelete