Tuesday, November 27, 2012

“Yes we can!” [go to hell]

Hell exists, and yes, some people will go there. That’s the not-so-happy conclusion of Andrew Clover, my new colleague over at my Reformation500 blog.

“We sin because we are sinners … We are guilty, all of us, of a cosmic mutiny; justice hangs over us like Damocles’ sword and we know it…”

“The true, biblical doctrine of Hell, and the correlating doctrines of our sinfulness and God’s righteousness and holiness, make the gospel shine with all the brightness and sweetness that it was meant to (Romans 9:22-23).”

This appears to be the first of a multi-part series on what he calls “an independent case for the biblical doctrine of Hell.”

In the not too distant past, I’ve mentioned Andrew’s Lutheran and Reformed Discussion Group on Facebook. Apparently, though, the Lutherans became too raucous for him, and he [the founder] dropped out of the group!

As Steve has said, it’s all about talent recruitment. So when Andrew told me he was leaving that group, I asked him if he would join me, discussing (I hope) the history and pre-history of the Reformation, and some of the ways that the various Protestant groups can be of service to one another and to the cause of Christ as we bring to mind some of the “500th” anniversaries that will be coming up over the next several years.

Andrew has been a good friend of mine for several years. He explored Roman Catholicism, and has ended up being a conservative Lutheran. Maybe over time he’ll tell us more about his journey and why he created, then left that Lutheran discussion group!

3 comments:

  1. John,
    I followed the hyper-link to the Reformed Lutheran Discussion Group (not that I'm on Facebook) but it just brought me back to this post. Can you supply link? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mark, I had that link tagged to go to my "Andrew Clover" posts, of which this is one. (There are several others). But here is the link to the FB group:

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/332486683512878/366353270126219

      Facebook will prompt you to log in to get to this page.

      Delete
  2. Theological debate tends to rile people up (rightly so in many cases). No one group has a monopoly on raucousness.

    ReplyDelete