Friday, November 27, 2009

Do potted plants go to heaven?

Jason Pratt is a member of the CADRE. He's also a universalist. But I didn't realize until now that he also subscribes to a form of animism or panpsychism:

Jason Pratt said...

"I don't mean by this that I think no other animals are conscious than humans; on the contrary, I think even normally unconscious species can sometimes be wakened to consciousness by the love of other conscious entities, and I am entirely prepared to include not only animals but even (speculatively and ideally) plants or even non-organic complex systems (like, for example, ships)."

http://dangerousidea.blogspot.com/2009/11/if-god-used-evolutionary-process-to.html#c2630579779930873765

This raises some intriguing possibilities for universalism. Do all potted plants go to heaven when they die? Or only those their owners spoke to? What about that muscle car I spent so many hours in high school washing and waxing and tinkering with? Is it a conscious being? Did it bond with me under the hood? Like Stephen King's Christine?

1 comment:

  1. Well, I believe we will be drinking Tea in Heaven!

    Maybe Jasmine Tea, perhaps?

    Rev 22:1 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb
    Rev 22:2 through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

    I wonder if there will be honey in Heaven too? I like honey in my tea when I am drinking it?

    Now that I think about it, will there be cows in Heaven cause I also like a little cream mixed with that Jasmine Tea and honey!

    ReplyDelete