Monday, August 26, 2019

Freedom of choice

Freewill theists typically claim that genuine freedom requires freedom to choose between two (or more) alternatives. Suppose a mandatory evacuation has been ordered for my area due to a storm system that's forecast to produce catastrophic flooding. Before the road is submerged, I drive to friend's house to evacuate him. But he's extremely reluctant to leave. Yet it's highly likely that if he refuses to leave, he will drown.  I'm very athletic. I can easily overpower him if he forces the issue. Suppose we have the following exchange:

Me: Would you like to come with me?
Friend: What if I wouldn't like to come with you?
Me: I believe in freedom of choice. So you can either come willingly or else you can come against your will!

No comments:

Post a Comment