Thursday, September 06, 2012

Charlotte Simmons speaks at Charlotte

Sandra Fluke spoke at the Democrat convention last night. No, I didn’t hear her speech.

It tells you something about the moral universe Democrats inhabit that they’d give her a national podium. She epitomizes the hook-up culture which Tom Wolfe lampooned in his novel I Am Charlotte Simmons. No, I haven’t read that either. Not my kind of novel. But I saw an interview a few years ago in which he discussed his novel. And I read a review. I think it was in World Magazine. There are other reviews floating around the Internet.

The novel itself was a spin-off from an essay Wolfe wrote (“Hooking Up”), which is available online. Wolfe is a shoe leather journalist turned novelist. His essay and novel were based on extensive interviews he conducted with college students.

Wolfe is very worldly, but even he’s a bit taken aback by how coarsened so many young women have become. He’s 81, so he’s seen the cultural decline firsthand. Indeed, he famously chronicled the Sixties counterculture.

Democrats are so shameless that they parade shamefulness without a twinge of self-consciousness. It’s like those Reality Shows on MTV you sometimes see trailers for or stumble across when you’re channel surfing.

No comments:

Post a Comment