Thursday, December 08, 2011

Death & despair


Atheism

I am typing this having just had an injection to try to reduce the pain in my arms, hands, and fingers. The chief side effect of this pain is numbness in the extremities, filling me with the not irrational fear that I shall lose the ability to write. Without that ability, I feel sure in advance, my “will to live” would be hugely attenuated. I often grandly say that writing is not just my living and my livelihood but my very life, and it’s true. Almost like the threatened loss of my voice, which is currently being alleviated by some temporary injections into my vocal folds, I feel my personality and identity dissolving as I contemplate dead hands and the loss of the transmission belts that connect me to writing and thinking.


Christianity

13But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 14For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. 15For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord,[d] that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. 18Therefore encourage one another with these words. (1 Thes 4:13-18)  

2 comments:

  1. He's not talking about his despair at dying but his anxiety about losing his means of communication while alive. A Christian author facing that kind of neurological future would, I expect, be feeling exactly the same. Atheism has nothing to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, he's saying more than that. He's saying his very identity is bound up with his ability to write and speak. He's losing himself before he dies.

    Atheism has everything to do with it, for he has no hope that his situation will ever get better. To the contrary, it continues the inexorable downward spiral.

    ReplyDelete