Friday, May 27, 2011

Were Mary and Joseph allowed to rub noses?



Here’s one of those deep urgent questions in moral theology that members of the One True Church® tussle over.


HT: James Swan

I decided to hold a séance to see if I could get some expert advice. St. Alphonsus de Liguori told me that Mary and Joseph were allowed to kiss on condition that Mary wear a veil to prevent their lips from coming into direct contact.

But Francisco Suárez demurred, assuring me that Mary and Joseph were only allowed to rub noses. I was about to ask the Blessed Cardinal Newman when my medium suffered a fit of hiccups and had to sever the uplink. 


When communications are restored, I also plan to ask if Mary and Joseph were allowed to hold hands–with or without gloves.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Steve, if you can channel through to Liguori, why not spring for the extra dime and ask Mary herself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I have the security clearance to swing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem far more secure to me than you're letting on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. why not spring for the extra dime and ask Mary herself?

    I would have thought you'd need independent corroboration for Steve's controversial questions.

    ReplyDelete