Friday, August 18, 2017

Just one god separating atheism from Hinduism

Here's an oft-quoted definition of atheism:

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

I wonder how that would work in dialogue with a Hindu:

Atheist: I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.

Hindu: I believe in 333 million gods. When you understand why I believe in all 329,999,999 of your gods, you will understand why I add one more.

1 comment:

  1. The argument atheists make here is a fundamental misunderstanding of non-naturalistic metaphysics. That said, we monotheists still make a big deal out of the number of divine beings, which could be contributing to atheists' confusion over this.

    ReplyDelete