Sunday, August 20, 2017

Sky High reunion

Christians often attend a variety of churches over the course of a lifetime. One reason is our mobile society. If they move out of town or out of state, they find a new church.

I've attended a number of different denominations over the years. Partly this is due to curiosity, in terms of exploring different worship styles. Although I'm a stickler for theology, I'm quite flexible about church attendance, within basic boundaries of orthodoxy. 

For a time I attended in Anglican church. One time I was sitting in church, watching the priests, altar boys, and acolytes prepare for communion. The altar boys were cute elementary school age kids. The acolyte was an older teenager. Made me reflect on me when I was his age, some 40 years ago. I will predecease the acolyte and altar boys by decades. 

It also made me think of all the Christians we encounter, inside and outside of church, in the course of a lifetime. Some of them we may briefly meet, while others we come to know for months or years. But as we move around and they move around, they pass out of our lives. And in some cases they die, which is why we don't see them anymore. And we don't normally think about them.

Occasionally and unexpectedly we bump into people we knew years ago. Suddenly, from out of the past, our paths cross once again. All the dormant memories awaken. 

All of this prompted me to think of what it will be like, after we die, to see all these people again. Christians we met in this world, at one time or another, whom we will see again in the world to come (or intermediate state). Many of whom we lost track of.

Some of them will be waiting for us when we die, while we'll be waiting for some of them when they die–which ever comes first. Like an everlasting high school reunion for Christians!   

6 comments:

  1. Does this also mean that in heaven we will get along with all the other Christians we couldn't get along with on earth, or will we just not bump into one another? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means all freewill theists who go to heaven will realize their error and become Calvinists. In heaven, the saints will all be a low-church Zwinglian Calvinists. Gabriel told me that on my weekly audience with him, last month.

      Delete
  2. Do we just get zapped out of this error or is there some kind of Purgatorial process of instruction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to ask Gabriel during my next audience. If you're in a hurry for the answer, I might text him.

      Delete
    2. Gabriel informs me that C. S. Lewis is in charge of deprogramming new arrivals to heaven who are freewill theists. There are different options. The zap solution is a memory wipe.

      Delete
  3. Then there's 8ch.net/christian/, a board where various denominations regularly fight in a vacuum.

    ReplyDelete