Who speaks for Rome? A layman with a BA in sociology? A layman with no institutional standing in his denomination?I'm afraid His Most Holy and Immaculate Popiness Dave Armstrong would take issue with the point that he has no standing in the Roman Catholic Church.
Or St. Robert Cardinal Bellarmine, Doctor of the Church?
Specifically, his qualifications to speak authoritatively for the Roman Catholic Church include:
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology (cum laude) from Wayne State University.
- Considerable time spent informally studying theology, history, philosophy, and apologetics.
- Approximately 2000 books in personal library.
- Full-time author.
- Facilitator of Online Apologetics and Discussion Group for the Coming Home Network.
- Contributing editor to the Hands on Apologetics periodical.
- Primary or sole author of the text of five evangelistic comic tracts for the Catholic Information League.
- BTW, it should be noted that, whenever he speaks, 10% of the time Pope Dave is right 100% of the time. 100%! Incredible.
- Update (quoting Dave Armstrong below): "six 'officially' published books, a dozen or so appearances on national Catholic radio, many articles in reputable apologetics magazines."