Saturday, December 15, 2018

Genesis in the church fathers

It seemed to me [reviewer James Pate] that a lot of the church fathers Allert profiled believed that the events of Genesis 1 occurred as narrated. Why seek to explain the light that existed before the sun, moon, and stars, if it is all just symbolic, anyway? They may have believed there was a deeper spiritual meaning to the details of Genesis 1, but they seem to have accepted Genesis 1 as history: a narrative about what happened in the past.

http://jamesbradfordpate.blogspot.com/2018/12/book-write-up-early-christian-readings.html

6 comments:

  1. Have you read Kyle Greenwood's new book on Genesis 1 and 2 yet? It's called Since The Beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but from what I've read about him, isn't it the usual solid dome, three-story universe stuff?

      Delete
    2. The medieval stuff and David Tsumura's chapter might be interesting.

      Delete
  2. Not really. I was to interview him on it, but I had a family crisis that day. I will later on when I can reschedule.

    He's more an editor of it. He has different people write different chapters for the most part. There are looks at all the positions so if you want to see some of the church fathers, that's a good way to go.

    I haven't read it yet, but I also have Early Church Readings of Genesis 1 by Craig Allert. So many books to read. So little time....

    I can't say how good the latter one is, but it's probably worth considering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the book on order.

      Delete
    2. I'll be curious to know what you think. If I like it enough, I'll interview him.

      Delete