Friday, June 09, 2006

Giving Credit Where Credit is Due

Typically, I don't recommend Study Bibles. I prefer a good, wide-margin reference Bible. The NASB is my preferred English translation, and I use the reference edition. You can find it under "uber Bible" at www.aomin.org. That said, I bought mine at Lifeway several years ago.

Anyway, I recognize that folks from the churches read the blogs, and many of them prefer a Study Bible. I do have one myself, because at times my memory needs jogging, and I just don't want to pull down K&D or a critical commentary, when a short note will do. At any rate, the Reformation Study Bible has been nominated for an award. Thank you, Dr. Sproul!

The Reformation Study Bible Selected as Finalist for the ECPA’s Christian Book Award

Orlando, Fla., May 31, 2006 —The Evangelical Christian Publishers Association (ECPA) recently named The Reformation Study Bible (RSB) in the English Standard Version as a finalist for the 2006 Christian Book Award in the “Bibles” category. The awards are given to recognize the finest examples of literary quality in Christian publishing, and the winner in each category will be announced during the International Christian Retail Show in Denver on Monday, July 10th.

“It is an honor to be recognized in this way as we seek to make God’s message to His people more accessible and to reiterate the truths of our Christian heritage,” said Dr. R.C. Sproul, founder and chairman of Ligonier Ministries and the general editor of the RSB.

For the RSB to be chosen as a finalist demonstrates that this helpful study-tool meets the most demanding standards in publishing. Since 1978 the ECPA has judged the caliber of Christian books in terms of content, literary quality, design, and significance of their contribution. Christian publishers produce thousands of books, and from hundreds of entries only 30 books are chosen as finalists. Of those finalists, only 6 will be distinguished as recipients of this prestigious award.

The RSB contains book introductions, an extensive cross-reference system, and definitions for theological terms. The Bible also provides in-depth study notes compiled by more than 50 distinguished biblical scholars, including Drs. J.I. Packer, James Boice, R.C. Sproul and Wayne Grudem, which offer crucial insight to enable readers to engage the Word more thoroughly. For more information please visit www.ligonier.org or www.reformationstudybible.org.


(I would add that you can visit our friends at Monergismbooks to order one for yourself as well.)

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! My RSB is the older NKJV, but the notes are equivalent. The NKJV was originally issued as the New Geneva Study Bible.

    When I can put down my Agatha Christie habit for a while, I'll save up the semolians to get the ESV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The purchase and study of my RSB NKJV was one of many tools that God used to confirm me into The Doctrines Of Grace. The theological notes were very helpful in understanding the truth of scripture against the claims of the seeker church I was in at the time. I preordered my ESV RSB as soon as I heard about it. Paul.

    ReplyDelete