Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Lost Discipline of the Christian Faith: Bible Verse Memorization

by Alan Kurschner

“Excuse me a moment as I look up that verse in my Bible.” Familiar experience? We have been there many times, and the most embarrassing moments have been when they were verses that we should have known by memory. Paradoxically, as accessibility to the Scriptures becomes quicker via Bible software, internet, and PDAs, our mental ability has become more lethargic. But there is hope!

Here is my personal (simple) suggested system for Bible Verse Memorization:

Most people use one standard Bible version for their memorization; I am a bit different in that I like to have two or three versions to use. Every time I come across a verse or a passage that I would like to memorize I copy and paste it to my Word Document by placing it in 14pt Arial font at the top of the page so that all the other previous verses rotate down. Then when I find another verse that I want to memorize I simply copy and paste it and place it at the top of the document above the previous one, and so on. That way the verses at the top of the document are the most recent ones I have memorized.

Now take five or ten minutes in the morning with your devotions and memorize a new verse and/or review the previous ones to keep them fresh on your mind and quick on your tongue. It takes so little effort and in my opinion, it’s fun and fruitful. The important thing is to keep it simple—and do it! So my system is a simple suggestion to start with, in which you may want to modify for your own tastes and purposes overtime.

Recently, I have even began memorizing theologically significant verses from the Greek Bible. I do this not because I want to “show off," but rather I recognize that there are many apologetic and theological issues that are best dealt with on the technical level of the original languages. (One certainly has an edge with Jehovah Witnesses, Muslims, Roman Catholics--and, yes, even Arminians--with a command of the original languages.)

At any rate, the reality is that there may be days that you did not review or learn a new verse. What’s important though is let that be an exception but continue to stay consistent and just make it a habit with your devotions and prayer (memorizing verses, I believe, works best in the morning when the mind is fresh). If you are going to be away from your computer for a few days, then go ahead and print off the whole or a portion of the document and take it with you to review. Remind yourself often why you are memorizing God’s breathed Words:

    To savor them in your heart during the day
    God commands us
    Our own devotional and spiritual benefit
    Apologetic sharpness
    Setting an example for our children and new believers
    And many more reasons that you can discover for yourself…

So after reading this post (with no excuses!) take just two minutes and create a “Bible Verse Memorization” document on your computer and copy and paste your first verse that you want to memorize. And make it a good habit by spending your five or ten minutes memorization exercise as part of your devotions in the morning.

You will be able to delight and savor that God’s Word is in your heart, not just on black and white.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome advice! Just made my doc on the desktop. :D I've been looking for ways to improve my daily walk. I am sure this will help. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CuriousSaint:

    If you wish to be involved in a Bible Memorization program, I am joined Jamin Hubner in a program called "Systematic Scripture Memory". To read more about it, look here:

    http://veritasredux.com/ssmvision.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder, Alan! I've been letting my scripture memorization go by the wayside these last couple of years, so it's nice to have a "plan of action" (you know I'm a "planner" - just not a doer! ;p ). I remember you telling me about this before. I'll have to try it out with my new laptop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the exhortation, Alan. I appreciate it, and the work you did at your former blog.

    Back to memorization I go!

    Dave (Rincrast)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's good advice, Alan. In my experience, though, it's better not to set a schedule of one verse or passage a day. It's better for me to just keep working at a verse or passage until I know it well, without the preset timeframe. I'm committed to working at it each day, but I don't have to complete a new verse or new passage each day. That seems to work better for me, and maybe it will for other people.

    And there are other things worth memorizing, such as hymns and passages from the church fathers and other Christians of the past (which, like the Biblical languages, can be useful in apologetics).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason, thanks for your comment. Yes, there are other things worth memorizing such as key verses from the Qur'an, Book of Mormon, etc., and as you mentioned the church fathers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete