Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Utopian preterism


(Sister Mary Prudence Allen) I was born in 1940 in Oneida, New York where some descendants of the utopian Oneida Community (1848-1881) lived in the Mansion House and in homes nearby. Both of my father's parents were born as stirpiculture children while the Oneida Community was still active. My mother was a southern Baptist from Kentucky. Because the Oneida Community was a fundamentalist Protestant Utopian community which believed that Christ has returned in AD 70, they thought that the goal of life was to live in the spirit of Christian perfection. My father was not baptized until shortly before his death. My mother, who is descended from a line of ministers and Christian Cherokees, had a deep Christian faith, Robert George & R. J. Snell, eds., Mind, Heart, and Soul: Intellectuals and the Path to Rome (2018), 29-30.

No comments:

Post a Comment