Thursday, May 04, 2023

The Advantages Of A Low Social Status

"I have a Bible that my parents gave me when I was 15. I look at it and how it’s marked up in red. I have memories of lying in my single bed with the trolley cars on the wallpaper on the wall above me, reading my Bible late at night, desperate because I couldn’t speak [well]. That was a great gift to me by the way, that God shut me down socially and cut me off from all fast tracks, all party tracks, and all cool-guy tracks. I was just shut down into my little world of going hard after God when I was 15. So I’ve been reading my Bible every day since I was 15, and it has been my life." (John Piper)

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately due to the wide availability of Internet now a boy in that situation would probably be spending all his time doing something much less profitable. Indeed, he'd be lucky if the worst thing he got drawn into were some kind of video game, as opposed to p*rn. It's an interesting reflection that bored, lonely kids used to do some really great things to fill up the time, but now there's all this mental cotton candy and worse that they are likely to fill the time with.

    ReplyDelete