Sunday, September 01, 2019

The bachelorette

1. I hesitate to even comment on this. For one thing, I find shows like The Bachelorette too worldly. There are far better things to consider in life.

For another, I just don't care for these sorts of shows. I have never watched The Bachelorette or The Bachelor. Nor do I plan to. Not unless the bachelorettes and bachelors featured involve space aliens shooting space lasers at each other in space wars!

And even if these shows were valuable (which I'd say they're not), they're so ephemeral. Who's going to remember any of the contestants a generation from now? Rather the contestants would do well to heed Ecclesiastes' message: hebel. Life is a vapor. A mere breath. A chasing after the wind. Fleeting. Or as James puts it: "What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes" (4:14).

2. That said, the latest season apparently starred a professing Christian bachelorette named Hannah Brown along with another professing Christian bachelor named Luke Parker. I saw a few clips of them. Evidently the most talked (gossiped?) about moment on the show was when Hannah kicked Luke off the show for (according to Hannah) "slut shaming" her for having had premarital sex multiple times, which she all but boasted about. Indeed she gave him the middle finger. And she insisted and continues to insist "Jesus still loves me".

3. I made comments about how either Hannah needs to repent of her sexual sin and live like a Christian or stop professing to be a Christian if she wishes to continue in her sexual sin. Hannah's legions of "sisters" came to her defense against me. All of them were likewise professing Christians. They seemed to take what I said quite personally and criticized me for what I said about Hannah.

4. All of them told me how judgmental I was (or words to that effect). Ironic how these women judge me for being judgmental...but Hannah gets a free pass, their sympathy, forgiveness, love, and acceptance from them. Of course, the Bible doesn't say we should never judge anyone, period. Rather the Bible teaches us we should "judge with right judgment" (Jn 7:24).

This and other things the professing Christian women said to me illustrated how biblically illiterate they are. That seems to be a growing trend. Christians should be a people of the Book.

5. The kind of Christianity espoused by Hannah and her sisters is more akin to moralistic therapeutic deism than biblical Christianity.

6. It's interesting how so many women often idolize other people. Take women at concerts. Jumping up and down, tearing their hair out, in a state of frenzy. I mean, men go to concerts too, but we don't go gaga over rockstars like women do.

As such, I suspect what's partly happening with these professing Christian women defending Hannah is that she's an idol for them. They identify with her. Or at the very least she's a heroine to them. A professing Christian like they are, trying to find true love. And criticism against Hannah is tantamount to criticism against them.

If so, I'd say these women need better heroines. Why settle for someone like The Bachelorette's Hannah rather than (say) the Bible's Hannah? Or the Bible's Sarah, Zipporah, Deborah, Jael, Rahab, Ruth, Esther, Anna, Elizabeth, Mary, the Samaritan woman at the well, Martha and her sister Mary, Lydia, etc. Or women like Anne Bradstreet, Christina Rossetti, Selina Countess of Huntingdon, Ann Judson, Amy Carmichael, Helen Roseveare, Corrie ten Boom, Bethan Lloyd-Jones, Susanna Wesley, Sarah Edwards, etc.

These are the sorts of women of whom the world was not worthy. By contrast, at this point in her life Hannah Brown strikes me as a woman indistinguishable from the world.

8 comments:

  1. Wow that's messed up. I guess good job Luke for getting kicked off for daring to say there's something wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, lots of professing Christian women defending Hannah’s premarital sex, even while they call Luke a brute, say he has no right to tell her what to do, etc. They’re sympathetic toward Hannah for her sins or indiscretions, but unsympathetic toward Luke for what he said.

      Delete
    2. Hate to say it, but almost certainly they were sympathetic toward Hannah because that's what they do too.

      Delete
    3. Good point, Peter! Rom 1:32 seems relevant here.

      Delete
  2. Okay, I hate the "judgment" card. You make judgments every day of your life. This "don't judge me" bull@#$! is ridiculous. And by the way, isn't what she does to Luke jodging?? Didn't she judge him to be unworthy to be on the show?? Why does she get a free pass to judge? I would say that she is right, God does still love her but she is wrong if she things that means she can do "whatever". Didn't Jesus say "If you love me, keep my commandments"?? Would love to see her response to that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah's legions of "sisters" came to her defense against me. All of them were likewise professing Christians.

    That behavior is absolutely appalling but seems to be the common response. They're Christian? If that were true, I would want no part of such a group. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to find anyone willing to speak out against them. Why? Because they're women?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they were all women. No guys said anything to me.

      Also, yeah, they all said they were Christian. Well, maybe one or two didn't explicitly identify as Christian, but anyway the vast majority certainly did.

      In my estimation, all these women seemed like the sort of "Christian" that Hannah is. They profess to be Christian, and say "Jesus loves me", but they live like pagans. They know Bible verses, but they don't know the Bible. They know enough to say things like "judge not" and "God is love", but they seem to balk at the idea that God could be just and wrathful against premarital sex. Ironically they're perfectly fine judging me and condemning me for criticizing Hannah. And so on and so forth.

      Anyway I'm not really sure what to say. I think Peter may have hit the nail on the head when he said: "almost certainly they were sympathetic toward Hannah because that's what they do too" i.e. they're likely having premarital sex too.

      Delete