Tuesday, March 26, 2019

World's Dumbest Partiers

Every so often I eat at a sports bar. Good food at a good price. A side effect is seeing episodes of TV shows I don't normally watch. Indeed, I stopped watching TV altogether a few years ago. 

One time when I was waiting for my order, there was an episode of the World's Dumbest Partiers. First and only time I've see it. Apparently, it's one of those reality shows. 

The partiers in these scenes have no center, no purpose in life. They are impulsive, reacting to circumstances. Acting on the spur of the moment, heedless of consequences. 

And these are teens and twenty-somethings, in the prime of life. In many ways, that ought to be the best time of life. When they're young and healthy, have lots of opportunities, have their whole future ahead of them. Some of they will wake up at at 60-70, if they live that long, and wonder where the years went. 

I say that to say this: apostasy and atheism are routinely glamorized as liberating. To be emancipated from the shackles of conventional morality. No more guilt. Be free to do whatever you want. No God, no heaven, no hell. So live it up in the here-and-now. 

The results, on display in a show like this, are utter mayhem. Behavior that's destructive to themselves as well as to others. Mindless, undirected passion. 

1 comment:

  1. I've heard it said that reality shows deliberately showcase terrible people so that John and Jane America can watch it and feel better about themselves. Which, if true, highlights a whole different set of problems.

    ReplyDelete