Sunday, February 17, 2019

If I could do it over again

I don't think that's true. I explicitly identified a type of morally sufficient reasons, i.e. those that produce greater goods. And there are countless examples where suffering produces greater goods. For example, I recently heard a paraplegic athlete say that if he could do it all again, he would accept the accident that paralyzed him because it made him the person he is today including the cultivation of individual character and relationships with other loved ones at a far more profound level. I don't think those who don't suffer can speak into those kinds of cases, but when those who have suffered enormously make their own judgments about coming to own their suffering, we should listen. And that can open our minds to the kind of redemptive stories that are indeed possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment