Thursday, October 18, 2012

On the Glory of God

Over at Andrew Clover’s Lutheran and Reformed Discussion Group, William M., a Lutheran pastor said:

Where in the Bible does it say that the glory of God is something to be advanced? I can't find this in at least the ESV and RSV? Is this a KJV quirk perhaps? The phrase is simply unfamiliar to me. Help me.


I’m glad to oblige.

First: men and nature glorify God

Psalm 19:1: The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.


Psalm 86:9: All the nations you have made shall come and worship before you, O Lord, and shall glorify your name.


Psalm 86:12: I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever.


Romans 11:33-36: Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?” “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.


1 Corinthians 6:20: … you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.


1 Corinthians 10:31: So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.


Revelation 4:11: “Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.”


Second: the members of the Trinity glorify each other

John 7:18: The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood.

John 8:50: Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge.

John 8:54: Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’”

John 12:23: And Jesus answered them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified.”

John 13:31–32: When he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him. If God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself, and glorify him at once.”

John 16:14: [The Spirit] will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

John 17:1–4: When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.”

John 17:10: All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment