Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tribute to Phil Johnson

Phil Johnson is dousing Pyromaniacs. Well, not exactly. Frank and Dan will keep the Menorah alight.

1. To my knowledge, Phil was the first figure of note to plug Triablogue.

2. And for several years thereafter, most of Triablogue’s crossover traffic came from Pyromaniacs. So Phil has been a generous benefactor. Melchizedek to my Abraham. The greater blessing the lesser.

3. Years ago, he and I had a spirited debate over evangelical cobelligerance. Despite the disagreement, Phil was never petty or punitive about it. He continued to give Triablogue a prominent shout-out on his blogroll.

4. Phil has a great sense of humor. Anyone who’s read Pecadillo’s sadly intermittent blog will appreciate where the rich vein of satirical humor comes from. Hereditary talent.

5 comments:

  1. Phil Johnson once gave me a gift card to Outback Steakhouse on the condition I take out a girl, which I did. I shouldn't say how much it was for but it was a very generous amount! As is typical of him, Phil was exceedingly gracious to people whom he didn't know personally and with whom he had no reason to be gracious. As is typical of him, Phil was looking to build and foster relationships in the church. As is typical of him, Phil is just plain chill. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick,
    I have decided to interpret "take out" as code for "assassinate" and will hereby report you to the proper authorities......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick Chan: "Phil Johnson once gave me a gift card to Outback Steakhouse on the condition I take out a girl"

    Ahhhhh, Phil Johnson's a believer in reparative therapy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete