Friday, September 23, 2011

Roadside windshield washers

Rereading the transcript of last night’s debate, I am struck that Rick Santorum did not thank Stephen Hill, a gay soldier in the U.S. Army currently in Iraq, for his service. Nor did anyone else on that stage. Whatever you think of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” or homosexuality, Hill is risking his life on behalf of his country. It is troubling, and revealing, that Santorum’s answer entirely defined Hill as a gay man first and as a soldier second, if at all.


I disagree.

i) To begin with, if you obtain a job under false pretenses, you can rightly be fired. If you lie on your application form, you can rightly be fired. If you apply to a law firm and put on your resume that you’re a Harvard Law School grad when that isn’t true, the firm has every right to terminate you.

ii) If you do something for me that I don’t want, don’t need, didn’t ask for or agree to, then I owe you nothing in return. It’s like those roadside windshield washers who, when you’re waiting at the stoplight, presume to wash your windshield without permission, then bang on your window, demanding reimbursement. That’s extortion.

Don’t do something wrong, then play on my sympathy. That works for sappy liberals, not for me. 

2 comments:

  1. It is troubling, and revealing, that Santorum’s answer entirely defined Hill as a gay man first and as a soldier second, if at all.

    I believe that is exactly what the gay agenda is all about. Entirely. Gay people tend to define themselves (gay activists certainly do, without question) by their sexual orientation more than anything else. That's why there are "gay" magazines, "gay" television programming, "gay" bars, "gay" this or "gay" that. That is a choice they make, and they make it very, very consciously.

    In my view, our sexuality, though an important and integral part of our lives, should not be our primary defining point.

    So the candidates did exactly what is required of them by the "gay community;" they defined the soldier by his "gayness," as seems to be the preference of most who are caught up in and regularly participate in the "gay" lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your disagreement.

    My son is a part of the 101st Screaming Eagles. He just came back from Afghanistan, a tour of a year. He recently married a beautiful girl!

    I didn't know that I could hold my breath for so long!

    Anyway, having been to his first graduation and listening to then 4 star General Dempsey tell us parents the Army asks a lot of your soldier, I wasn't amused. And then I was there at his deployment at Fort Campbell, spending a lot of time with him the week's run up to that night at 2 p.m.; you know, that's important when your young son is going into harms way, so depressing that experience and sensing a fear you had not up to that time ever experienced in him, I was struck with how he and his battle buddies restrained their feelings when the discussion of don't ask, don't tell came up that week. It did and I brought it up on a couple occasions. The knee jerk reaction every time was telling!

    I adhere!

    ReplyDelete