Saturday, March 07, 2020

Panic attacks

I've noticed lots of people are all but panicking over the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19). For example, I think Liz Specht's Twitterstorm over the coronavirus is on the unduly alarmist side.

Not saying Specht isn't correct about some things (e.g. exponential growth), not saying there isn't some warrant for what she says (though I think it's insufficient to justify her main message), but even she points out she's not a physician or epidemiologist, but a biologist. And even she points out she could be "VERY wrong" about the whole thing. Yet, if so, then I think she should be more modest or circumspect in her remarks about the coronavirus. Take a more balanced stance. At present, I think her overall message risks causing mass hysteria.

Now, I grant the coronavirus could become quite bad. Many infected, many fatalities. Certainly it looks like things will get worse before they get better. However, I doubt the virus itself is going to be cataclysmic for humanity or even the US. Especially if most people take reasonable measures to stop the spread of the coronavirus (e.g. regular hand-washing, self-isolation, avoiding crowds).

Besides, it rarely helps to panic. Just be smart, take the necessary precautions, have enough basic supplies (including basic medical supplies) to last through a long winter, so to speak.

I think the basic problem is that panic feeds on itself. The more people panic, the more panicky people become. Like a shark feeding frenzy. In short, I don't fear the coronavirus as much as I fear what will happen if our nation and/or other nations collectively panic about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment