Tuesday, January 21, 2020

"I used to be an anti-LGBTQ Evangelical"

I'm not sure this is worth commenting on:


However, the liberal media is pursuing a strategy of redefining Christianity so that "true" Christians, or the only socially-acceptable version of Christianity, will be LGBT-affirming. Part of the strategy is to parade self-styled evangelicals or ex-evangelicals who finally saw the light and became progressives. 

Growing up watching the popular 1980’s sitcom ”Growing Pains,” I found myself going starry-eyed every time heartthrob Kirk Cameron appeared on the screen. When I learned that Cameron was an evangelical Christian, just like me, I admired him even more ⁠— there weren’t many people in Hollywood willing to speak out in the name of their faith, but Cameron was unashamed to do so.

Maybe that teenybopper intro has some pull for female readers, but it bounces right off normal male readers.

In 2012 I watched Cameron tell talk show host Piers Morgan that he believed homosexuality is “unnatural,” and just for good measure, he added, “It’s detrimental and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization.”

Good for him!

Naturally, Cameron received backlash from the LGBTQ community and its allies because of his public comments. But many evangelicals, myself included, rushed to defend him and his views. 

She was right the first time. 

But my most popular blog posts were the ones that offered my take on controversial topics like the value of purity, submitting to your husband and why I didn’t believe women should use birth control.

Was she a member of the Quiverfull movement? If so, she's lurched from one reactionary position to another. 

After Cameron discussed his thoughts on gay marriage and homosexuality on CNN, I felt it was important to show my support for him. I posted a status on my personal Facebook account that read, “It’s important to watch the entire interview when looking at Kirk Cameron’s (and many conservative Christians’) view on gay marriage. I’m so proud of Kirk for saying what he believes, instead of brushing aside this important topic for fear of the very real controversy.” What I didn’t realize at the time was how harmful that single post would be.

How "harmful"? How many of the world's seven billion people even know that she exists? Tells you something about Brianna Bell's inflated sense of self-importance.

After my post I (rightfully) received blowback from LGBTQ friends…

At the time she still identified as evangelical. So what did it mean for her to have LGBTQ friends? What were the terms of the friendship? Was she required to affirm and celebrate their lifestyle as a condition of friendship? If not, why would they be "pained" and "alienated" by her support for Cameron? 

BTW, part of being a good friend to someone is to discourage their destructive lifestyle choices, viz. drug addict, compulsive gambler. 

Then, on June 12, 2016, I woke up to the news of the horrific mass shooting at Pulse Nightclub, an LGBTQ bar in Orlando, Florida, in which 49 people were killed and 53 others injured by a lone gunman. Despite my feelings about the LGBTQ community, I could not fathom anyone doing something so evil. That day was a wake-up call for me, and it marked the first time I truly recognized just how much hatred ⁠— and violence ⁠— the LGBTQ community faces. 

Really? The shooter (Omar Mateen) was a gay Muslim who used to hang out at gay bars and nightclubs. That's gay-on-gay crime. How is a gay Muslim shooting up a gay nightclub supposed to be a wakeup call for evangelicals? 

I explored the victimization of the LGBTQ community and read about the abuse that many in the queer community have faced and continue to face.

What about the way homosexuals abuse each other? High rates of domestic abuse. The damage of anal intercourse. High STD rates. Not to mention AIDS?

What about the way homosexuals abuse children? The abuse scandals in the Catholic church and Boy Scouts. Puberty blockers, chemical castration, and mutilation of normal boys and girls.

Last summer, a writer and queer friend of mine was attacked online by a group of mostly male bullies, many who claimed to be devout and loving Christians, for writing an article about a Pride parade. I watched as my friend was torn apart online for her writing and her activism, as conservative evangelical strangers attempted to silence her and do harm to her with their words. This woman was called a pedophile by some, while others suggested that her children should be taken away from her because she dared to claim that Pride celebrations were appropriate ⁠— and even fun! ⁠— for children. 

Because, as a matter of fact, it's derelict parenting to expose innocent children to the debauchery of gay pride parades. 

As I’ve evolved and shed many of my conservative view, I’ve had to wrestle with how to abandon an old ideology while remaining committed to my faith. While I am still a devoted Christian, I’ve had to work to untangle myself from doctrine that is harmful and strive to adopt an intersectional and inclusive theology.

A cautionary tale of theology based on tearjerkers rather than God's design for human nature.

The stats don’t lie: Most LGBTQ Americans experience harassment, LGBTQ youth contemplate suicide at a rate three times greater than heterosexual youth, and a national epidemic of fatal transgender violence plagues America. 

Actually, the stats often lie since there's a cottage industry of fake hate crimes. 

In addition, it doesn't occur to her that high suicide rates among LGBTQ youth might be due to the fact that homosexuality and transgenderism are intrinsically depressing conditions 

I cannot stand in the shadows anymore, knowing that to do so is to perpetuate stigma and continue shaming the queer community. 

Because it's so brave to switch sides when you have the wind to your back. 

Jesus himself commands, “Love each other as I have loved you,” and that is exactly what I intend to do. 

In context, that's about how Christians are obliged to love other Christians. It's not a statement about unbelievers.

Moreover, the way to love others is not to support their self-destructive lifestyle. And you don't love the innocent by empowering the LTBT lobby to harm the innocent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment