Thursday, November 21, 2019

Why not commit apostasy?

The primary reason I wouldn't commit apostasy is because the case for Christianity is overwhelming, based on multiple lines of evidence, direct and indirect, public and private. But there are additional considerations:

i) It would be a betrayal of my own generation, as well as younger generations in the pipeline. I care what happens to them. It would be as if I know the way out of the cave, but I keep that to myself. I refuse to show lost men, women, and children the way out of the cave. I leave them there to die in the dark, leave them there to die of thirst. Even if I personally wanted to commit suicide in the cave, I have a duty to show the lost the way out of the cave, and go back for more. 

ii) As a Christian blogger, I've had enormous exposure to apostates and atheists. I find them repellent. Even if I lost my faith, I'd far rather continue attending church than spend my time in the social company of apostates and atheists. They'd make dreadful company. People who think this life is enough are unbearably shallow, and willfully superficial.  

And how many would take a bullet for a friend. In fairness, there's the occasional atheist who will take a bullet for a friend, but nothing is dumber than idealistic atheists. That's not an attitude I respect or admire. 

I'm not talking about friendship evangelism or outreach to unbelievers. I'm talking about the notion that the company of apostates and atheists would ever be an appealing alternative to Christian friendship and fellowship.

I'd add that some people who lose their faith regain their faith. So maintaining Christian fellowship wouldn't just be a palliative. 

4 comments:

  1. Amen. One day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalm 84:10 Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. '...in fairness, there's the occasional atheist who will take a bullet for a friend, but nothing is dumber than idealistic atheists.'

    Quite right. How dumb is the organism that substitutes its propagation/proper function for the sake of another organism! The very concept makes no sense at all. It is directly opposed to the organism's sole function.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I likewise find atheists and apostates repellent.

    What’s more, I wouldn’t enjoy spending most my time with non-Christians of another religion, though I’d prefer (say) Jews to Muslims by far.

    Perhaps the single group I’d most resonate with are computer nerds and geeks. But that’s more for fun than anything serious.

    There’s still no company like Christians. Christians still make the best company, I think. All things considered. Even if I stopped believing.

    Another reason I wouldn’t commit apostasy is because I don’t know where I’d go. Nothing else satisfies at the deepest level like Christ and Christianity do.




    ReplyDelete