Monday, September 01, 2008

Contrast Between A Pro-Choice Mindset And A Pro-Life Mindset

In another thread, HeroicLife wrote:

“Whereas previously, a Down’s child could be born without the prior knowledge of the mother, going forward, a parent with a Down’s child will likely (at least in the developed world) have made a conscious choice to have that child. As prenatal testing for trisomy 21 becomes ubiquitous, Down’s children (and eventually those with other genetic disorders) will increasingly become symbols of faith – a freak show meant to communicate the ‘family values’ of their parents. The children will become public sacrifices made by their parents for their faith.…What is really vicious about fundamentalists in America is that the prey on the most vulnerable –poor pregnant young girls and women, those dying from painful terminal illnesses, the loved ones of brain-dead patients, — and children afflicted with terrible genetic illnesses. One can at least grasp the moral indifference with which a fundamentalist can force a single young mother to abandon her goals and dreams and condemn her and her child to poverty. But what can we say about a parent that chooses a life of suffering upon their child? If we are morally outraged by child rapists, how should we judge a parent who chooses a lifetime of suffering on their own child?”

Rich Lowry of National Review writes:

When I was thinking of Trig [Sarah Palin’s son with Down Syndrome], I was reminded of an encounter I had a couple of weeks ago on the Delta Shuttle from Washington to New York. It was a mostly empty plane, but I went all the back to the very emptiest part of the plane to spread out and enjoy he quiet. And there was a man sitting in the very back row who immediately piped up, "Hi. I'm Ian. Would you like to sit next to me?"

He was a guy with Down Syndrome, maybe in his twenties. I declined the offer, but we struck up a conversation. He was going to New York for a family celebration, including for his birthday. I told him I had a birthday coming up too and he lit up and came over to vigorously shake my hand in congratulations—more delighted by my birthday than his own.

When the plane began to fill up a woman and her daughter came all the way to the back with a huge bag. I began to wonder to myself if I should offer to help them with it, when Ian popped up, told them he'd get it, and lifted it up and shoved it in the overhead compartment. When two men came down the aisle with a box they weren't sure would fit overhead, he intervened and told them it would—"trust me"—and put it up for them.

He chatted amiably with his neighbors during the flight, and when we landed was up out of his seat first thing to help that woman get her bag down.

From this brief encounter, I dare say Ian is friendlier, better adjusted and more considerate than about half of the people on the streets of Manhattan or San Francisco on any given day. Yet most of those people are perfectly unperturbed by the elimination of babies with Down syndrome in the womb. To hell with them. God bless Sarah Palin for bringing Trig into the world, and may he shower those around him with as much sunshine as the gentleman I met on that flight.

2 comments:

  1. It amazes me how "pro-choice" individuals think the loving thing to do with a developing child with downs is to abort him...

    There's nothing more inconvenient than adjusting your life for people with genetic disorders...

    Wait, did I say "inconvenient"? I meant to say there's nothing more loving than preventing a child with downs from making it outside the womb. The problem is not with us and our attitudes toward inconvenience, the problem is that child will live...and life is a problem that needs ending.

    All we need is "love".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this Jason.

    Forgive me, but I am p*ssed by two things:

    (1) Bedwetting Evangelicals who are supporters of pro-abortionist Obama.

    (2) The liberal mainstream media attempts to discredit and demonize Palin to sway uninformed voters away from McCain-Palin and towards pro-abortionists Obama-Biden.

    I hope in the end it backfires.

    ReplyDelete